Saturday, April 4, 2015

Couplets

Your musical proposal choked me up,
As you were overcome with happiness.


I watched the song your father sang for you,
As you stood sobbing in your satin dress.


You announced the baby's gender proudly,
Blue icing in the cake, hidden from your guests.


I watched your family shriek with happy shock,
To meet the new babe, wrapped in soft pink dress.


His first wobbly steps, her first shocking curse,
I laughed at your children's innocent progress,


I watched the baby giggle in hysterics,
And the tot arguing, who's tireless.


I watched her as she howled in frozen glee,
Ice reigning down on her tousled tress,


The choreographed high school dance routine,
Methodically captured by the local press,


I watched you lip syncing in the front seat,
Your back seat pals jumped in, with planned largess,


I watched these all; your precious memories,
With your family, I shared your happiness,


Sitting in front of my computer screen,
Clicking random links on youtube; mindless.


I can't help but wonder where we're heading,
Society's disdain for privateness,


And I think back to simpler days gone by,
When the world was still mysterious,


Back when “going viral” meant an illness,
And not a grab for instant famousness.


© 2015 Laura Freeman All Rights Reserved




No comments:

Post a Comment